Who is it for?
This introduction is suitable for DIYers, natural building enthusiasts, adobe homeowners, aspiring builders, and the adobe curious.
This is an in-person, hands-on class. Attendees will have the opportunity to get dirty and use tools and equipment typical of adobe construction. Due to the course format, enrollment will be limited to 8 individuals. Children under the age of 14 unfortunately cannot be accommodated except by prior arrangement. In the unlikely event of inclement weather, instruction will occur indoors.
- Soil Selection and Testing
- Making Adobe Bricks
- Water Resistance and Stabilization
- Adobe Forms
- Brick Laying Techniques
- Gravel garden wall foundations
- Discuss safety in earthen construction.
- Gain an understanding of how earth has been used as a building material worldwide and in CA.
- Learn how to locate and identify suitable soil samples (clay and aggregates) for use in adobe construction.
- Gain a basic understanding of clay minerals and aggregates and their role in the adobe mix.
- Learn the proportions of a good adobe mix for your area and how to amend/blend your soil if a suitable mix is not naturally present.
- Learn how to mix mud in a wheelbarrow.
- Learn how to make adobe blocks.
- Obtain an overview of the basic adobe block drying sequence.
- Obtain an overview of different methods of field testing your adobe bricks for strength.
- Learn about the use of stabilizers for improved water resistance, including asphalt emulsion, portland cement, and lime
- Learn techniques for laying adobe bricks to form a wall
- Learn techniques for properly applying mortar and tooling joints
20 question written exam
Please do not hesitate to reach out to us email@example.com