Who is it for?
This introduction is suitable for DIYers, natural building enthusiasts, adobe homeowners, and aspiring builders, and a great foundation for more advanced study in earthen construction.
4 weeks, 6-8 hours per week
This is a virtual class held using an online classroom platform hosting reading materials, assignments, podcasts, videos and a discussion board. Instruction is asynchronous with new material introduced on Mondays, and students can participate whenever their schedule allows.
- Relevant reading material on the week’s topic
- Podcast interviews with natural plaster experts from the field
- Video overviews of the week’s project/plan drawings
- Step-by-step, hands-on project videos to get you working in the field
- An integrated discussion forum which can be used for Q&A sessions between the instructor and course participants.
- Discuss safety in earthen construction.
- Gain an understanding of how earth and lime have been used as building materials in the past – worldwide and in California.
- Gain an understanding of the life cycle of earth and lime building materials.
- Gain an understanding of the basic properties of earth and lime as finishing materials.
- Gain an understanding of how natural walls function and the role that natural/breathable plasters play in natural wall performance.
- Learn how to prep different walls types and substrates for accepting earthen and lime plasters.
- Learn how to locate clay, lime and aggregates for use in earthen and lime plasters.
- Learn how to make a ¼” soil screen for prepping soils and aggregates for use in natural plaster work.
- Learn how to prep clay, lime, straw and aggregates and test their suitability for use in earthen and lime plasters and paints.
- Learn starting point recipes for mixing your own base and leveling coat earthen plasters.
- Gain an understanding of how to mix materials for earthen and lime plasters by hand using muck buckets and heavy-duty paddle mixers.
- Obtain an overview of common tools used for applying, leveling and finishing earthen and lime plasters.
- Learn how to apply earthen plaster base and leveling coats to walls using a bucket scoop and trowel.
- Learn how to level/plumb base and leveling earthen plaster coats with a skimming blade and trowel.
- Learn how to prep a base/leveling earthen plaster coat to facilitate finish coat adhesion.
- Learn starting point recipes for mixing your own finish coat earthen plasters.
- Learn how to apply earthen plaster finish coats to walls using a hawk and trowel.
- Learn how to apply earthen plaster finish coats to inside and outside corners using a hawk and trowel.
- Learn how to level/plumb earthen plaster finish coats using a skimming blade.
- Learn how to achieve a smooth and even finish plaster surface using a sponge float and re-troweling technique.
- Learn about the advantages of finishing interior earthen plasters with aliz (clay paint).
- Learn how mix, apply and finish a typical New Mexican aliz (clay paint).
- Learn starting point recipes for mixing your own finish coat lime plasters.
- Learn about lime safety and job site precautions.
- Learn how to prepare Chemstar Type S Lime for use in lime finish plasters.
- Learn how to mix and apply a finish coat lime plaster.
- Learn how to finish the surface of a lime plaster coat using a sponge and wooden float technique.
- Learn how to prepare and apply a lime/casein paint to your finish lime plaster finish coat.
- Learn how to make casein and mix your own lime/casein paints.
- Graded Hands-On Project #1 – Collect and Test a Local Soil Sample
- Graded Hands-On Project #2 – Make ¼” Soil Screen + Prepare Two Plaster Test
- Graded Hands-On Project #3 – Plaster Your Test Substrates with an Earthen Finish Coats + Experiment with Clay and Lime/Casein Paint Finishes.
- Graded Hands-On Project #4 – Plaster Your Test Substrates with Earthen and Lime Base/Leveling Coat
Please do not hesitate to reach out to us email@example.com